Monday, 30 January 2012

The pressure's on...

No, not the pressure of moving abroad for two years. The pressure of post number two. The weighty responsibility of which falls on my shoulders. And the weight is even greater as I may have given Gordon a wee bit of a hard time about his first post.

Gordon wrote a blog for his job (http://carersblog.wordpress.com/) and I really enjoyed reading it. Not only because I got to find out what the heck he actually did in his job, but because he’s very good at starting somewhere completely unrelated, from love letters in primary school to Star Trek, somehow linking it to the latest policy news and then bringing it back to his starting point.  It was thoughtful, moving, serious and occasionally funny. And I thought, on first reading, that his first post on our blog sounded a lot like something he would have written for his work blog. I announced that we needed to have a serious discussion about this and threatened to leave! (the blog that is, and write my own).

Ok, I’m being a little dramatic, but I did think our blog would be a lot less well written and structured, more of a stream of consciousness thing. Fun to do, not something that takes hours to think up. And so the pressure is on for me to perform…

However, having just driven back from taking Gordon and Mike clean clothes and more supplies for day two of their fundraising bike trip (http://www.justgiving.com/teams/cycleforcambodia), and it being a bit of late night last night helping two very good friends celebrate their engagement, my wit switch is off and I’ve accepted that just getting this written is about as much as I can hope for.

It’s a really exciting time and I can’t wait to go. However, I’m also finding it very strange. I still don’t quite believe it’s going to happen - even although I’ve found a tenant for my flat, my last day at work is looming and our leaving party is next weekend – it just doesn’t seem real. Gordon moved home from London on Thursday and reminded me that we were now officially living together. Another thing that doesn’t quite seem real – I expect him to get back on the train and head down south again in a few days.

So, hopefully at some point reality will hit as I still have LOADS to do and I definitely need to get my butt in gear. Until then, I’ll keep teasing Gordon for writing a work-style blog, keep sneakily watching Got to Dance when I should be doing useful packing / going-away type things and keep answering “I’m not sure” whenever someone asks me a question about Cambodia.

And now for bed…
Claire x

PS I typed this in Word and have just copied it in only to realise that we haven't even agreed what font to use, or what size that font should be! Turns out work habits die hard. Maybe I should give the boy a break about still being in work mode...


2 comments:

  1. YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS! A new blog to follow. Keep it interesting. And I liked Gordon's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also how weird that the word I was asked to verify this post was 'lejocks'. Kind of a description of you two in French.

      Delete